Friday 10 April 2009

An Update Regarding the Right Plane...


I'm rather late posting this; about four months, actually.

On November 20th of last year I posted a request for advice in choosing the right plane to create rabbets and such for drawers and small cabinets. Kari over on The Village Carpenter suggested that I pick myself up a Veritas Small Plow Plane. Doing some further research, I thought she gave me great advice and still think that way.

Now, on November 25th, I posted an illustration and a manipulated photo to show my conflicting feelings about the newly designed Veritas plane and backsaw.

How are these two things related?

Well I don't know if you noticed it or not, but on the inside cover the Lee Valley January catalogue, the illustration of the questioning woodworker appeared as an intro to a letter about the new tool designs written by Lee Valley's President, Robin Lee. If you can put two and two together, you have probably figured out that I am now the proud owner of a spanking new Veritas Small Plaw Plane, complete with all five blades.
As an aside, the manipulated photo of the Veritas NX60 Block Plane has been published in the April issue of The Canadian Home Workshop magazine. While I won't complain about the remuneration I received for that one, I will say that it is too bad they don't make planes there.

I have to admit, it is a wonderfully relaxing way to build your tool collection.

Peace,

Mitchell

1 comment:

  1. I picked one up recently and just love it. Glad you are happy with it. Congratulations on having your photo published in a magazine! :o)

    ReplyDelete