Tuesday 31 March 2009

They use these things to fly planes, you know...

About a year ago I purchased a beautiful little Spear & Jackson dovetail saw, circa 1888 from woodnut4 on eBay. Its open handled, rip set, and is just the nicest thing to work with. Since then I have been searching for a cross that would be a match to it, mainly on eBay, but the odd time, when I think of it, I'll just do a general search for one on Google to see if there is any out there that happen to be looking for a new home.

Tonight, I pulled up Google and entered "jackson open handled dovetail cross".

Have a look at what came up as the forth hit on the list...


Sometimes computers are just dumb.

Peace,

Mitchell

3 comments:

  1. Now, if you had only added the most important word, "saw," the computer would have appeared much smarter.

    The first 40 hits from "jackson open handled cross cut dovetail saw" are all about tools, no cross examinations. Unfortunately, none for sale.

    Over 40 years programming computers has assured me too that they are "just dumb," and often dumb enough to do exactly what we ask. :)

    Good luck finding that saw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bob, your right. Computers are only as intelligent as the people using them. Adding the word "saw" to the search would have gone far in telling the digital minds what I was looking for, but not necessarily. With my luck lately, this defendant could be appealing his conviction for attacking someone with a "sea-SAW".

    Peace,

    Mitchell

    ReplyDelete