Friday 19 August 2016

I’ve Got To Get A Handle On These Saws...


Back in 2007 I purchased a nice, little 12” Jackson dovetail saw from Daryl Weir. He had straightened it, sharpened it, made it look pretty, or as pretty as a Jackson dovetail saw made by Disston in about 1888 could be, and posted it on eBay to sell. It was a nice, little dovetail saw that was filed as a rip. The saw plate was a tad thick, but I was happy with it, so off I went to find it a mate, one that could be filed cross. Fast foreword two years and I found an identical Jackson, a little rough around the edges, but repairable. I had the seller send it to Daryl, who did his magic on it so by the time it got into my hands, it was as good a saw as its partner. I was such a proud papa.


I had the pair for about six months when my father-in-law, who was living with us at the time, came into my office/workshop for a visit and to see what I was doing. I was cutting dovetails for the plant shelving unit I was building my wife at the time and the pair of saws were sitting out on what I was using at the time as a bench. I don’t know what he did, but I heard a crash and turned around to see the two saws on the floor with both handles broken in half. It was an accident and I was just relieved he hadn't hurt himself. I glued the pieces together so the saws would be usable and started a new search for two whole handles. I’m still looking for those replacements.

I finally made up my mind that I had to do something with these two saws to make them whole again, so I decided to make new handles for them in two different woods. I decided one would be in apple but what to use for the other is still up in the air. It took a while to find some that was suitable, but I finally did on a Facebook group page set up for nothing else but to sell wood. I purchased a piece 4’ long, 8” wide and 1¼” thick from a gentleman in the States who ended up sending me 6’ of it for the price of 4’. I also purchased a new 9”, Grain-10 Auriou Cabinetmaker’s rasp so now I am all set to rock...almost.

I’m still fussing over the design. I ended up producing about 8 different possibilities, some normal looking and some not so much. I have now weeded it down to these two possibles...

This is the original Jackson handle
This design has some mildly extended horns

This design has some seriously exaggerated horns

So does anyone out there have an opinion on these? or advice on where to take it?

Cheers

Mitchell



4 comments:

  1. Well style #2, with the exaggerated horns looks nice, fancy and aggressive....but will the horns last in use? and would they limit any adjustment or re-positioning of your hand when using them?maybe it might feel like it was locking your thumb in place. maybe make one of poplar as a sample to see....
    The Style #1, the mild one, would be the one that should be used....I think it would fit your hand better.....and that's what counts......That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joe M, I appreciate your comment and particularily like your idea about making a sample of the handle in cheap wood just to see how my hand likes it. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Partial to #1. Maybe start with a thicker grip. You can always scrape away wood. #2 seems to tempt fate, and "dragons".

    ReplyDelete