Saturday 19 February 2011

Isn't "Insurance" Really a Four Letter Word...

How do most of you handle insurance on your tools?

My insurance agent suddenly wants to see pictures and descriptions of all the tools I am insuring under my home policy. Having never run into this before, the request struck me as a tad odd, but then again, I am talking insurance.

My experience with insurance can be summed up in that "good hands" logo. As soon as I have a need for them, those two hands do nothing but start clapping, and they don't put down my stuff before they do.

It is not that I haven't thought of this list of tools before this came up, though.

A few years ago I started to catalogue my tools for future reference. It is a great idea, but not something I can get too fanatical about. Ok. I'll admit it. I haven't looked at the damned thing in over a year. The main reason for this is that it started out as a great idea but ended up just being a hell of a lot of work, as does most of my "Eureka Moments". I did get about 80 or 90 tools listed before I ran out of steam, and to explain why the music died for me with this, every entry I did in this "dream" catalogue includes the following:

  • The name of the tool
  • The manufacturer of the tool
  • The date it was manufactured
  • What the tool was used for
  • A quick description of how to use it
  • A list of articles, books and digital media that I own that relate to the tool
  • What I paid for it
  • When I bought it
  • An estimated replacement value at the time of cataloguing

So now you know why I haven't kept it up. I must have been either drunk of bored when I came up with this idea.

That admitted, I still have about 25% of my tools already included in this catalogue, but to finish it for the insurance agent, it would take me a solid two or three months. That's nuts. 


There is absolutely no reason for posting these images of my No.2 Type 7 other than the fact that I was up most of the night creating them. After a full eight hours work, this is the only tool that got added to the list.


I think it might be time to find a new agent. What do you guys think?

Peace,

Mitchell

1 comment:

  1. having to move every couple years with the navy, i made a pretty good inventory list just in case. it was hard to set it up, but once all items are in it, pretty easy to maintain.

    think it is worthwhile though, but unsure if they can ever replace some of the tools i acquired in my travels.

    ReplyDelete