Thursday 6 November 2008

Need help with the basics...

Cutting dovetail tails yesterday I finally figured out one of the things I'm doing wrong. I just don't know what to do about it.

Surprisingly, it is one of the most basic steps in creating this joint - sawing the edges of the tails. The top of the cut is relatively straight, but as the cut heads further into the wood it starts to bow and by the time I get to the bottom of the cut the tail has a distinct bow.

I'm using a 10" dovetail rip saw which is sharpened to perfection so I know the fault only lies with me. I can only assume that I'm not only moving the saw back and forth but side-to-side as well. I slowed down considerably on the next set I cut and tried to be conscious of my arm movement but it didn't help. The second set was just as bowed at the bottom of the cut as the first.

Does anybody have any suggestions as to how to overcome this problem with this very basic process?

Peace,

Mitchell

2 comments:

  1. It could be technique, but it sounds like your saw might not be perfect anymore.

    If you can saw a straight line with other saws, I would suggest taking a close look at the saw you are using for dovetails. Perhaps it is something about the saw that makes you hold it differently, or perhaps the teeth were damaged on one side.

    Another thing you could try is sawing in a different position, and see if it still has the same tendency.

    Alternatively, you could have a friend watch you saw or take a video of yourself.

    I have a dovetail saw that does exactly what you are saying. I haven't fixed it yet, but I am pretty confident that most of the problem is in the way it is filed.

    In my case, the handle is also a bit loose which doesn't help my cause. I just need to make a new handle for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. brother if i could show you the repertoire of curved, jagged, bent, bowed dovetails in my shop :)

    I think practice is the main thing...i always get better with the dovetails in a project midway through it seems.

    also, ahve you considered jigging up a saw guide for the angles you're wishing to cut?

    check out this video, "smart tails" where a guy, charles neil, comes up with a pretty cool jig:
    http://thewoodwhisperer.com/smart-tails-a-charles-neil-invention

    ReplyDelete