Friday, 14 November 2008

Screwdriver Rack or Tie Rack...

I've been working away for the last two weeks on one door section of my tool cabinet. In this section is a rack for my set of very ugly screwdrivers.

The idea behind this rack is to store a complete set of 11 screwdrivers in as small an area as possible. The design I came up with uses just two pieces of walnut 13 1/2" wide, 1 1/2" deep and 1/2" in thickness. One of these pieces holds 6 screwdrivers and the other holds 5. The mounts are based on using the collar at the bottom of the plastic handles to lock each in place. As a result of this, I have to remove a lot of material from each piece.

I drilled and cut away as much material as I dared to yesterday and before I went any further I thought it wise to reinforce the narrow cross grain bits with a bit of dowel. On top of that, I brought the pieces inside the night before to do the layout and as a result of being stored in a warmer, drier place, one of the pieces decided to open a check in the grain. The check isn't all the way through but I'm sure it won't be long before it is.

I laid out where further cuts were required and in the center of the wood that will remain I drilled a 1/8" hole right through the depth of the stock. I forced glue into each hole and as I slid a 1/8 birch dowel through each piece I turned them to keep the glue spread even. I picked up these dowels from Lee Valley and I will warn you, they are not all consistent in diameter. I found about 20% to be oversized.

The results before trimming looks pretty strange.



No comments:

Post a comment