Wednesday 15 May 2013

Sucking the Joy out of Everything...


I must be getting old and grumpy in my old age, but woodworking and vintage tool sites no longer hold the charm they once did. In fact, I’m getting downright turned off by them.

I have known why I’m not that thrilled with them for quite some time, but I’ve been rather embarrassed to mention it as I’m positive I’m the only one that feels this way. I’m putting it out here now to test the theory.

To those that write woodworking columns…
Guys, I’m in this hobby for the fun of it and your anal retentive attitudes towards it has quickly taken the fun out of it. If I wanted to produce perfect dovetails, or any other joint or cut for that matter, I’d be going to school to learn the craft, rather than looking for down and dirty tips so I can get to the job at hand – which is having fun.

To those that sell vintage woodworking tools…
Guys, I’m in this hobby for the kicks and your take-it-or-leave-it attitudes towards my purchases have caused me to stop buying. I’m not looking for a one-of-a-kind, $5k ultimate brace. I’m looking for usable tools and, as with any purchase of any antique, I’d like a little history about my purchase. I’m not a tool historian and I absolutely have no desire to be one.
I could go on about this, but I'll put it out there to see what you guys think, if anything other than I'm nuts.

Peace,

Mitchell 

4 comments:

  1. Well said and I tend to agree with many of your points. I have been working wood for over 25 years now and claim to be "self-taught". Part of that learning curve came by reading articles on techniques for power tools, then later hand tools. I would try the method in the article, adjust it accordingly, and carry on. Others I would try and decide it wasn't for me. I never considered my methods of work as being "wrong" if it wasn't done the way it was written as long as the end result was what I was aiming for. Though I respect the talents and abilities of the big boys in the craft, but I won't swoon in their presence. Pins first, tails first? Search that in Google or Bing! Fact of the matter is who cares? Thnks for posting your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if you could expand upon your "tool seller" comments a bit more. I can't tell if the guy with the attitude is the same guy with the 5K brace or just a representative composite of tool sellers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rick, very well said yourself. I will expand on my thoughts on the subject later in the week, so I hope you tune in again soon.

    Anonymous, I expanded on your comment first, so have a look at my following post. I chose to follow up on your comment first because I have always seen myself more as a collector than a user.

    Peace,

    Mitchell

    ReplyDelete
  4. Right on, I'm a wooden boat fixer when I don't have to earn a living, I want to get the job done, enjoy the process with limited time. I want to work quickly and good enough, my sanding isn't flawless, my varnish isn't perfect but generally everything works well, gets me sailing and occasionally someone stops by to say what a lovely boat

    ReplyDelete